Sunday, October 21, 2007

Week 5: #12 The "Library" Elf will remind you!

I use and rely on HCPL's email reminder service and it has seemed adequate (until now). Of course, actually getting the books/dvd's etc into the car and then into the drop slot at the library on time is an entirely different issue. I haven't rec'd an email from Library Elf just yet.

As for the page layout, I like Library Elf's display is better. The two small calendars and then the different sections all on one page is very helpful to me and more appealing. Also, the calendars allow you to see what's due in DATE order. HCPL's list of items is in alphabetical order by title not by due date. I am not sure HCPL's site allows patrons to customize their own page. If so, I didn't see it. I believe it is easier to MISS when an item is due on HCPL's site since the items aren't in order by due date.

I also like that I can put my entire family's cards on one page on Library Elf. I have small children and we end up with a ton of books all at the same time. Checking each account, especially when books aren't in order by due date, leaves a greater chance than an item will be missed and turned in late.

So I'd give the Library Elf pretty high ratings! Glad this was one of our exercises.

No comments: